Thunderstorm III HD Professional SFX library Update: Three years ago I started recording all new thunder and lightning sounds for this new collection. As you might guess you cannot call up the thunder gods and schedule a recording session or two. Strange I know but that’s the way they work. So, I’ve been slowly and patiently waiting, recording, waiting, recording, editing, waiting, recording, etc during this time and have recorded quite a bit of material.
Whenever I do a major project around the house I try to record it. Whether I have a new sound effects collection in mind or not, I can’t resist setting up some microphones and rolling. I wanted to open up the back yard to get more sunlight and a better view of the sky and this involved cutting down a few very tall trees. These trees were about 80 to 100 feet tall so I had a friend come over with his tractor and chain saw to make the cuts and manage the clean up. Normally I would do this myself but since I wanted have multiple recorders and video cameras I thought it best to focus my attention on just the recording. This was the safest thing to do since the trees were very large and close to the house.
Sometimes You Just Roll With it…
Being a sound effects recordist has it’s special moments… moments when you just have to let go and qo with the day. It’s been a while since I have experienced this as running my online business, contract sound design work and all the other things that go along with living life as a self employed maniac take up all of my time and having a structured schedule is a priority. Every now and then something comes up where you just have to throw all this out the window and go with the moment.
You may have heard a rumor through the social network grapevine that I finally took a Barrett 99 50 BMG rifle out into the North Idaho wilderness and recorded the tiny little sound it makes. Well, it’s true. I did, and it was LOUD… and so much fun capture such an amazing sounding gun. I have never recorded such a large rifle before and was very anxious after recording 15 body thumping shots to get back to the studio and listen to the multi-microphone recordings. In this blog post I will explain to the best of my “spell correcting” ability how I set up and what gear I used to capture the incredible echo this gun produced on a secret 400 acre ranch.
CRAZY SOUND OF THE MONTH for November 2013: Rock smashes. Recorded with a Sennheiser MKH-8040ST at 24-Bit 96K. These rocks weathered by millions of years of wind, rain and snow break apart completely when tossed onto a solid concrete surface. During the recording sessions for the Ultimate Rockslide collections I gathered these “soft” granite chunks and stored them in my garage. My wife was always asking about them and why I was keeping them. Well, now she knows I smashed them to bits.
- Welcome To New and Improved WebsiteApril 16, 2015 - 7:21 pm
- Supersonic Subsonic BulletsDecember 17, 2014 - 12:19 am
- The Making Of Thunderstorm 3 Part 2December 12, 2014 - 12:14 am
- Bullet Recording Nov 20 2014December 5, 2014 - 7:18 am
- The Making Of Thunderstorm 3 Part 1October 7, 2014 - 1:48 am
- Thunderstorm 3 HD Pro SFX Library UpdateAugust 8, 2014 - 12:36 am
- Oh lovely recordings there.. Sounds a lil sharper and more...July 7, 2014 - 4:02 pm by Anders J
- Hi Frank, I love your work, you are great and everything...February 9, 2014 - 3:28 pm by Roberto
- Awesome! Are you gonna filter out the debris and seperate...August 21, 2013 - 1:56 pm by Anders
- Hi Frank, Congratulations for your recordings, all are...March 15, 2013 - 11:04 am by David
- Great video! I have long wanted to create my library shots...January 21, 2013 - 3:08 pm by Nick
- Excellent! Just what i needed to describe in the book i...January 10, 2013 - 2:37 pm by quintin cosford
airplane airplanes Ammunition animals break Bullets chains construction crash explosion explosions fire freight train glass gun guns Ice insect lightning logging Metal mud news Photos press propeller quarry rain rocks snow sound effects sound effects recording splash thunder thunderstorm train trains video clip vintage aircraft water weapon whoosh wind Winter wood
Game Audio Portfolio
• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
• Battlefield 4
• Donkey Kong Country Returns
• Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
• Monday Night Combat
• Space Siege
• Supreme Commander 1 & 2
• Unreal Championship 2
• Armies Of Exigo
• Axis & Allies
• Kohan: Kings of War
• Dungeon Siege 1 & 2
• Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3
• Neverwinter Nights
• Total Annihilation